Happy Australia Day! Yes it's 26 January again and this time I decided to spread the cheer with these scrumptious lamington cupcakes. A little twist on tradition but still with the essence of Australia wrapped up in them. Mmmm...
1 quantity plain/vanilla/butter cake mix (mine used 125g butter, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 cups SR flour, 4 drops vanilla, 1/2 cup milk)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/9 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Spoon your cake mix into prepared cupcake tray and bake in preheated 180-190°C oven for about 10 minutes - the tops should spring back when touched and be slightly browned. Turn them out on a cake rack and let them cool.
2. Put sugar and water together with sifted cocoa into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to make sure the sugar dissolves.
3. Simmer gently for about 12 minutes without stirring.
4. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir for 1 minute.
5. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool a little (the mixture should thicken up a bit).
6. Dip the top of all your cakes into the icing and set them on the cake rack again to set. While they're doing that, pour some desiccated coconut into a bowl.
7. Dip each of your cupcakes into the icing again, this time rolling them in the desiccated coconut afterwards. Make sure they are nicely covered.
8. Leave then on the cake rack to cool and set.
Happy Australia Day everyone,